Monday, February 1, 2010

Begging For More!



Ever serve your kids spinach, carrots and sweet potatoes and have them begging you for more?  Me either, until Saturday night.  Now, my oldest is a parents dream when it comes to eating veggies.  Baby spinach salad with tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers and feta cheese is one of her favorite side dishes.  She won't touch a baked potato for anything, though - go figure!

Anyway,  the other three leave a bit to be desired in there veggie consumption.  But, Saturday was such a special night here.  A friend recommended the cookbook Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld to me over a year ago.  I've even had it on hand for that long and just put off using any of the recipies thinking it wouldn't work on my kids.  Boy, was I wrong!

Hubby and I kept stealing glances across the table as each child tried the homemade chicken nuggets smuggeling copious amounts of sweet potatoes into their little bodies.  Score one!  Dipped in buttermilk ranch made from a can of great northern beans.  Score two!  And for dessert?  Yummy chocolaty brownies filled with spinach and carrots.  HOME RUN!!!  My kids couldn't get enough of it all.

Next on the list - Another batch of brownies for home and one for Hubby's office, Blueberry muffins with flaxseed meal and yellow squash, and pink pancakes with beets and apples.  How scrumptious!

Who knew eating your vegetables could be so good?!

3 comments:

  1. I have that recipe book too, but the recipes took too long to make. I guess I should try it again:o) I have to threaten the kids to stay out of the kitchen while I cook b/c they are always at my ankles begging for snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is going to take some planning, but maybe I can get the freezer stocked and ready for when the time comes to make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that cookbook, a sweet friend at church gave it to me. I have never tried the recipes because I'm so bad about planning ahead, with all the purees. Definitely having it on hand will make it easier! knowing your success with it makes me want to try it too. Although I can't really complain about the girls, they eat pretty well. But we could all use more veggies!

    ReplyDelete

Give pointers or praise or just say 'hi'. Go on...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails