Thursday, January 20, 2011

Child Labor

We are trying to get the kids more involved in the workings and cleaning of the home.  Our lesson right now is that we ALL have to clean up after ourselves and not just expect Mommy to come behind us and clean.  It's really difficult, though, when the tools aren't proportional.  Ever tried using a broom that what 2 feet taller than you?  Not the easiest thing to do.
To help the kids have an easier time, we I decided to get a broom and cut it down to size.  I stood with the broom at my side to measure where it hit on me.  Right at underarm level.  I then measured it against child #2 to get the cutting location on the handle.  Kevin then took it down to the 'shop' to cut it down to size.
It's a novelty for now, but it is much easier for all three of the older kids to sweep the kitchen floor when they make a mess or just after a meal.  Technique leaves a little to be desired, but I'm sure they will get plenty of practice in the days to come.  

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to tell you that I made your 2 bean chicken chili and it was oh so yummy. :)
    I am sure having them do chores will pay off! The only thing I have my oldest do now is make her bed daily. It doesn't always look the best, but at least she is learning!

    ReplyDelete

Give pointers or praise or just say 'hi'. Go on...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails