I was hoping to share a nice long post about my trip to Kentucky to help my sister pack for a move. As fate would have it, I was unable to go due to weather. (First winter storm of the year for St. Louis had perfect timing.) You can only imagine how bummed I was! Even though it would have been work, I would have gotten to spend time with my sister - something that is rare these days.
Since I didn't get to go on my little girl time road trip (grrr!), I felt the need to give myself a little pick-me-up to help soothe my emotional wounds. That means I turned to food to make me feel better.
A quick search through the pantry turned up a box brownie mix, but I needed something more. Enter Peanut Butter! Here's a quick recipe for PB Swirl Brownies starting with said box mix. (Did you know all the recipes I came across on the web were all scratch brownies - even Betty Crocker's! No time for that here!)
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
1 Family size Brownie mix (for 9x13 baking dish)
2 T melted butter (salted)
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 t vanilla extract
1. Mix filling ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. Set to the side.
2. Mix brownies according to directions on back of box and pour into a 9x13 dish.
3. Spoon dollops of peanut butter filling into brownie batter in a random pattern spacing it around the dish.
4. Drag the tip of a butter knife through the dish to swirl the PB filling through out the brownie batter.
5. Bake brownies according to the box directions.
These brownies were SO good! I'll let you all know that I have food weaknesses and two of them at the top are Oreos and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. If I ever end up fat, you can be sure these will be among the causes. Until then, I'll keep making these brownies to soothe any emotional (real or fictitious) wounds that need to be soothed.
If you are reading this, Amanda, I'm still bummed. I'll be taking a raincheck, so look for me to darken your new doorstep in the near future. I'll bring a batch of brownies with me. ;)